- Carrizo Springs, TX
- Site Type:
- Military and Public Safety, Civic Facilities, City and Town Halls, Firehouses
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
Construction through the Works Progress Administration (WPA) began in 1935 with 18″ stone quarried from a nearby ranch and was completed in 1937. This building housed the Volunteer Fire Department downstairs and City Hall upstairs until the 1970’s.
As of 2017 “the walls are solid and still standing but interior walls, floors, and roof are in great disrepair.” The building was demolished on August 19, 2020.
WPA Plaque still on building
Local historical information is scarce; but, other buildings (church) constructed at same time with same stone documented in local historical documents.
Demolition (accessed Mar. 21, 2022):
Site originally submitted by Sandra Little on January 22, 2017.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site