- Dallas, TX
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Museums
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
"At the time of the Texas Centennial Exposition at Dallas in 1936 certain of the buildings constructed were made permanent, and one of these was the Museum of Natural History.
The structure is two stories in height and 71 by 224 feet in plan. The spacious entrance lobby connects with numerous exhibition halls containing cases in which are shown specimens of the plant and animal life of Texas.
The building is semifireproof. The frame is reinforced concrete and the exterior walls are stone. Texas shell stone is extensively used on the interior, with bases of marble and floors of rubber tile.
The project was completed in August 1936 at a construction cost of $248,387 and a project cost of $261,108."
Source notesC.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site