- Baker, NV
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Infrastructure and Utilities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Work Relief Programs
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Lehman Caves National Monument was established in 1922 and put under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service in 1933. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) came to Lehman Caves National Monument and set up a side camp in 1934. (The main camp was at Berry Creek, northeast of Ely)
The CCC enrollees made improvements to the national monument, including the water supply, trails, the first campground and parking at the visitor center.
The biggest CCC project was helping the National Park Service drill a new access tunnel into the Lehman Caves, the main attraction at the park. The tunnel was done in 1938-1939, and electric lights were added in 1941. A new entrance was built along with a new visitor center in the 1990s, but the CCC work is still part of the tunnel system.
The monument was incorporated into a new Great Basin National Park in 1986.
Site originally submitted by Richard A Walker on July 28, 2016.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site