- Westhope, ND
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Federal Facilities, Border Inspection Stations
- New Deal Agencies:
- Federal & Military Operations, Treasury Department
- Huston & Mackley
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
The former U.S. Inspection Station at the Canadian border north of Westhope, North Dakota (along Route 83) was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the 1930s. Completion photographs of the facility taken Sept. 4, 1937 reside in the National Archives.
The photo shown shows a secondary facility, likely used for storage. A building fitting the building’s visual description appeared on Google Street View imagery from 2008; however, an even newer facility appears to have been constructed since that time, so no part of the original New Deal construction is in existence today.
Source notesNational Archives: Record Group 121-BS: Records of the Public Buildings Service: Completion views of federal buildings (prints) alphabetically by state and thereunder by city, to 1966; Box 67.
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 19, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site