- South Portland, ME
- Site Type:
- Military and Public Safety
- New Deal Agencies:
- Works Progress Administration (WPA), Work Relief Programs
The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) conducted improvement work at the former Fort McKinley on Great Diamond Island in Portland, Maine. Project information:
“Rehabilitation of buildings including plumbing, heating, and electrical”
Official Project Number: 13‐2‐11‐109
Total project cost: $40,000.00
Sponsor: War Department ‐Q.M.C.
“Fts. Williams, McKinley, & Preble: Improve roads”
Official Project Number: 165‐2‐11‐8
Total project cost: $189,576.00
Sponsor: Commanding Officer, Fort Williams, U.S. Army
Nationwide Context, Inventory, and Heritage Assessment of Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps Resources on Department of Defense Installations, July 2009 (page C-85).
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 7, 2018.
At this Location:
- Fort Levett (former) Improvements - Portland ME
- Fort McKinley (former) Improvements - Portland ME
- Fort Williams (former) Development - Cape Elizabeth ME
- Peaks Island Military Reservation (former) Improvements - Portland ME
- Long Island Military Reservation (former) Improvements - Portland ME
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site