- Fort Knox, KY
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Military and Public Safety
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
"These barracks are one of several buildings erected at Fort Knox by the Quartermaster Corps of the Army and consist of 4 units of fireproof construction with concrete frames and brick curtain walls trimmed with stone. Another building, a 2-company barracks, is similar in design and construction, and both structures provide permanent quarters for 456 and 228 men, respectively. They are occupied by the First Cavalry, Mechanized. The project was completed in December 1935 and the P.W.A. allotment for the barracks and other buildings was $579,000."
Source notesC.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
At this Location:
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site