- Ventura, CA
- Site Type:
- Art Works, Sculpture and Bas Relief
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Arts Programs, Federal Arts Project (FAP), Works Progress Administration (WPA)
This statue of the Franciscan missionary, Father Junipero Serra was commissioned by the WPA in 1935. John Palo Kangas made the statue out of concrete. The original concrete deteriorated over time. In 1989, the original was placed in storage and replaced with an exact replica in bronze.
The Art Inventories Catalog gives the following description:
“Full-length portrait of Father Junipero Serra. He wears a cleric’s robe with cowl and rope belt around the waist. A rosary hangs from his belt at his proper left side. He holds a book in his proper left hand. In his proper right hand he holds a walking stick close to his torso. He wears sandals on his feet. His head is turned to the proper left. The bronze sculpture is patinaed and stands on a concrete base faced with polished black Andean granite.”
A nearby plaque reads:
“Fra. Junipero Serra by John Palo-Kangas. November 27, 1936. San Buenaventura Historical Preservation Commission, landmark No. 3”.
Source notesProject submitted by Douglas Dodd. https://siris-artinventories.si.edu/ https://wlrubottom.com/blog/entry/wl_rubottom_and_father_serra/
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site