- New York, New York City, NY
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Education and Health, Hospitals and Clinics
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- C. W. Pelton
Then constructed as the East Harlem Health and Teaching Center, what is now known as the East Harlem District Health Center was built with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $239,000 loan and $343,700 grant for the project, whose total cost was $1,253,244. Construction occurred between November 1935 and December 1937.
PWA Docket No. NY 9049.
A March 1935 Parks Department press release discussing the construction of the health center also describes plans to build a playground on the building’s roof that would “spare nothing in the way of ingenuity in developing this area into the city’s most modern recreational center above street level.” It is unknown to the Living New Deal whether or not this playground was ever completed, but there is no playground on the roof today.
Source notesNational Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 23. National Archives Record Group 135-SAR: Prints: Photographs rejected for use in the Photographic Report to the President: “Survey of the Architecture of Completed Projects of the PWA, 1939”; Box 14: New York State; Folder 7: Hospitals & Institutions. Department of Parks, Press Release, March 22, 1935
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 14, 2015.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site