- Indianola, MS
- Site Type:
- Hospitals and Clinics, Education and Health
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works
- N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town
- S. J. Aswell
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
The former King’s Daughters Hospital was completed as PWA project 1243. The hospital was funded by a $14,400 grant approved 6/22/1938. Contracts were awarded to S. J. Aswell for construction and construction began the same day. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the one story structure of hollow tile and stucco, 107 feet width and 77 feet length . It was located off Hwy. 82 to be easily seen, yet far enough away to diminish traffic noise. It accommodated a maximum of 27 patients and reports vary the total cost between $32,000 and $40,000. It was completed 7/20/2019. Although expected to open by May 1, it was delayed until October 23, 1939. The facility is currently in use as the Delta Primary Care Rural Health Clinic.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved Nov. 2, 2019 from:
Report No. 5, Status of Completed Non-Federal allotted projects. Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 106.
Indianola hospital gets grant from PWA. (Jun 24, 1938). The Greenwood Commonwealth, p. 1.
Indianola hospital now assured. (Aug 11, 1938). The Indianola Enterprise, p. 1.
Contract for hospital goes to Belzoni man. (Oct 20, 1938). The Delta Democrat-Times, p. 11.
Indianola hospital to open May 1. (Jan 12, 1939). The Enterprise-Tocsin, p. 1.
New Indianola Hospital completed. (Oct 20, 1939). The Delta Democrat-Times, p. 1, 8.
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 30, 2019.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site