- Dover, DE
- Site Type:
- Colleges and Universities, Education and Health
- New Deal Agencies:
- Works Progress Administration (WPA), Work Relief Programs
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
The WPA conducted improvements, including a sewage disposal plant, at the State Negro College, which was established in 1921.
From the Delaware Public Archives: “On June 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees of the State College for colored students, later known as Delaware State College, approved a resolution recommending the establishment of a four year high school for Negro students on its campus. This was the second such institution in the state, and the first outside of Wilmington. Many of the classes were held in the Dupont Building, also known as the Practice School. This building was named for Pierre S. duPont, a Delaware philanthropist who was instrumental in funding the construction of Negro Schools throughout the state. With the establishment of a comprehensive high school for Negro students in each county, the State College High School was closed in 1952.”
Site originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on October 8, 2016.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site