- Brooklyn, New York City, NY
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Playgrounds
- New Deal Agencies:
- Works Progress Administration (WPA), Work Relief Programs
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Now known as Decatur Playground, this playground adjacent to Public School 35 opened in September 1942. It is jointly operated by Parks and the Board of Education. A press release announced the completion of the playground:
“The playground, approximately 200 feet square, lies immediately west of the existing school which will be considerably expanded after the war…
A softball field with hooded backstop, one basketball court with removable standards, two practice basketball standards and four handball courts have been provided.
The construction of the playground was done by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.”
It is still in use, and was further renovated in 1997.
Source notesDepartment of Parks, Press Release, September 23, 1942 NYC Parks - Decatur Playground New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Site originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 28, 2016.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site