- Oakland, CA
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Schools
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Public Works Funding
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Anthony Chabot Elementary School was originally built as the Claremont Annex School in 1927, but it was renamed in 1930 for Anthony Chabot, an early settler in Oakland who built the first city water works by damming nearby Temescal Creek.
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded a new addition to the school in 1935 and it was built in 1936 and completed in 1937. It was called the Assembly building at the time, but now serves as the library and is known as the Annex. It stands on the east side of the original school; both face north.
We have not found a plaque on the building and the school history page says nothing about the PWA contribution. However, the historic photograph below comes from the PWA records at the National Archives, from 1937. The Oakland Tribune does not appear to have noted the completion of the Assembly building, but it carried calls to contractors to submit bids in 1935 and 1936 and gave the PWA wage scales to be met.
"Notice to contractors," Oakland Tribune, November 27, 1935, p. 9.
"Notice to contractors," Oakland Tribune, December 4, 1936, p. 15.
Site originally submitted by Shaina Potts on June 3, 2010.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site