- New York City, Staten Island, NY
- Site Type:
- Education and Health, Civic Facilities, Hospitals and Clinics
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Federal & Military Operations, Public Works Funding, Treasury Department
- Louis A. Simon
Originally the United States Marine Hospital, what is now Richmond University Medical Center’s Bayley Seton Hospital was a PWA project. It is described by the Federal Writers’ Project:
“United States Marine Hospital, Bay Street and Vanderbilt Avenue, a Federal hospital operated by the United States Public Health Service, is open to personnel of the Merchant Marine and Coast Guard, and to certain classes of Government employees. Constructed in 1933-6 by the PWA at a cost of two million dollars, the tawny-colored brick buildings with a silver tower cover an area of eighteen acres. Louis A. Simon was the supervising architect. This hospital was originally on Bedloe Island but was removed in 1883 to make room for the Statue of Liberty.”
"New York city guide; a comprehensive guide to the five boroughs of the metropolis: Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Richmond"; Federal Writers' Project, 1939 (page 607).
National Archives: Record Group 121-BS: Records of the Public Buildings Service: Completion views of federal buildings (prints) alphabetically by state and thereunder by city, to 1966; Box 63.
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on July 9, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site