- Auburn, CA
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Military and Public Safety
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
In 1938, WPA labor constructed a stone retaining wall outlining the east and north edges of the Auburn Veterans Memorial Hall property.
The approximately 380’-long wall is made of pieces of uncut native stone laid in random courses. The wall sweeps up at the entry, framing concrete steps leading to the hall. It continues along the sides of property, meeting another stone wall of unknown origin.
The ends of the wall terminate with tapered posts. The post at the south end includes a scratched inscription in concrete identifying structure as a WPA project. Unlike other walls constructed by the WPA in Auburn, made of rubble and mine tailings, this wall has smooth-faced, light-colored stones.
Constructed in 1931, and dedicated in 1932, the brick-clad, Tudor Revival style building was built over the former Old Auburn Cemetery. The hall received an expansion of its dining room and dance floor after World War II. Now owned by Placer County, it is used by the American Legion Post 48 and other veterans’ groups and rented for community and private events.
Source notes1938 WPA inscription on south post. "Veteran's Memorial Hall." Placer County Historical Society plaque, 2004.
Site originally submitted by John Murphey on January 4, 2016.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site