Zion National Park East Entrance Check-In - Washington County UT
The smaller of the two check-in stations at Zion National Park is the East Entrance check-in. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completed the entrance in 1935. (The North Entrance check-in was added in the 1990s.) In 1934, the CC constructed a small ranger residence across the road from the check-in station. The National Park Service designed the residence.
Both the residence and the check-in have not been significantly modified or rehabilitated in over 80 years. The residence was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
Wayne Hinton (with Elizabeth Green) - With Picks, Shovels & Hope: The CCC and Its Legacy in the Colorado Plateau. Missoula, MT: Mountain Press Company (2008)
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on August 25, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE