Zion National Park Amphitheater
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the South Campground Amphitheater in 1934-35 in typical stonework for the stage, walls, walkways and steps. Red sandstone was used in accordance with National Park Service rustic design principles. The original wood benches, set on stone blocks, were replaced with metal seats in 1956. The amphitheater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 14, 1987.
Wayne Hinton (with Elizabeth Green): With Picks, Shovels & Hope: The CCC and Its Legacy in the Colorado Plateau. Missoula, MT: Mountain Press Company (2008).
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on August 25, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE