“Zimmerman Playground, a block east of Bronx Park on the south side of Britton Street between Barker and Olinville Avenues. One of nine War Memorial Playgrounds opened by Mayor LaGuardia on July 15, 1934. The Parks Department press release credits the ‘Works Division of the Department of Public Welfare’ for some of the labor. Beyond that, there is no mention of how the playgrounds were designed and built. But by the reasoning laid out here, it’s almost inconceivable that federally-funded work relief was not involved.
But in any case, the playground was expanded a few years later, as described in a Parks Department press release of September 27, 1941, and ‘the work was carried out by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks’.” (http://kermitproject.org)
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on June 21, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE