Zilker Park Refectory in 2016Photo: Larry D. Moore, April 15, 2016 CC BY-SA 4.0
The Civil Works Administration remodeled a historic house into a refectory at Zilker Metropolitan Park, based on architect Charles H. Page’s design.
Text from the state historical marker:
“Originally built in the 1870s for Austin pioneer Ashford McGill, this native limestone structure and the surrounding property were purchased by Andrew J. Zilker who conveyed the land to the city for a park in 1931. Remodeled by the Federal Civil Works Administration for use as a multiple purpose park building, the house now exhibits 1930s-era detailing, including a pergola-covered courtyard. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1990”
Texas Historic Sites Atlas
(https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/Details/5453006442) accessed April 24, 2018.
"Application for Naming a Public Facility or Property," City of Austin, p.9.
(http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=226520) accessed April 24, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on April 27, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE