Zilker Park Entrance PortalThis Art Deco sign was built by the Civil Works Administration in the early 1930s.
Zilker Metropolitan Park is located at the confluence of Barton Creek and the Colorado River in Austin, Texas. The 351 acre park is administered by the Austin Parks and Recreation Department and is considered “Austin’s most-loved park.” Starting in 1917, local businessman Andew Jackson Zilker began donating land to the Austin School Board with the stipulation that the City of Austin purchase the land from the school board for use as a park. The money would then be used to create the Zilker Permanent Fund, an endowment fund for industrial education and home economics training in the schools.
Architect Charles H. Page designed the overall development plan for Zilker Park in 1933. Page also secured support and $94,000 in funding from the Civil Works Administration (CWA) to build the park. CWA personnel built the Art Deco style entrance gate, the bath house facility, and the Zilker Clubhouse. In the spring of 1934, the Zilker Park project was put under control of the National Parks Service through the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). CCC Company 1814 laid out roads, cleared land, and built picnic tables, barbecue pits and two rustic light standards at the entrance to the pool area. The National Youth Administration (NYA) also did work in the park between 1936 and 1938. The NYA cleaned up and repaired damage to the park caused by floods in 1935 and 1936. Per notations on the back of a contemporaneous photo, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) contributed to improvements to the park’s lily pond.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore, Lawrence da Silva on March 19, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE