Denton County Courthouse, South sidewalk
The concrete sidewalks that surround and lead up to the historic Denton County Courthouse are considered to be contributing structures in this historic district, and they were built by the Works Progress Administration between 1934 and 1935. The registration form for the Denton County Courthouse Square Historic District explains:
“The source of funding is inscribed within the outer sidewalk at regular intervals. These sidewalks are a contributing structure within the district as they represent an important feature of the courthouse grounds and are representative of the type of federal projects utilized during the Depression in Denton.”
Some repairs have been done to the sidewalks over time. For now, the WPA sidewalks are very easy to distinguish, as they have a red-brown tinge to them that contrasts with newer work that is considerably lighter in color.
Denton County Courthouse Square Historic District Registration Form
Project originally submitted by Doug Halvorsen on December 7, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE