WPA School wall - Cache OK
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a school, a wall, and other annex facilities in Cache OK.
“Originally, this 1938 WPA Project included not only the remaining wall, but a Home Ec building, Tennis courts, a School, and a Gymnasium. The buildings are no longer extant, and have been replaced by newer construction. Portions of the concrete tennis courts are still visible. Photos and write-ups of the buildings can be found on the Oklahoma Inventory Database at the website shown below (Items 68184, 68185 and 69183). These are located at 3rd Street and H Avenue (NW Cache Road).
The approximately 30 inch wall is constructed of granite blocks with pillars at the various openings in the wall. The wall extends two blocks down G Avenue and H Avenue (Cache Road), and one block along S. 4th Street. At the coordinates given above, two WPA shields stamped into concrete are embedded into the wall, showing the year 1938. Another concrete panel shows the Board of Education members, as well as the WPA Engineer (Joe Givens), and the WPA Foreman (Bob Darity).”
Highland Cemetery Entrance - Lawton, OK:(https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/wm1260T_WPA_School_Wall_Cache_OK), accessed August 2020.
Oklahoma landmarks Inventory (http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query.aspx), accessed August 2020.
WPA markers on site.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on August 2, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE