Plans for construction of a native stone workshop on the courthouse lawn in Ballinger were begun in June 1939. Rock was obtained from the city quarry. The building was planned for 40 x 60 feet with space for 15 boys to work at the same time. The project was expected to cost about $5,000 and employ 50 workers. The machinery was installed in April 1940 and the center expected to begin production that month. The project held open house April 16, 1941. The agricultural adjustment administration were relocated from the courthouse to the building following the close of the NYA in 1942.. The brass plaque for the front of the building was received and planned for attachment to the front of the building in a designated space and is currently housing the Runnels County Sheriff’s Department.
This entry provides additional information for the previous posting for the Runnels County Sheriff.
NYA Workshop to be Built at Ballinger. (Jun 24, 1939). Abilene Reporter News, p. 8
NYA Starts big Building Program. (Aug 15, 1939). San Angelo Evening Standard, p. 1.
Final Approval for NYA Workshop on Runnels Courtyard. (Oct 20, 1939). The San Angelo Weekly Standard, p. 14.
Foundation Work on NYA Project About Completed. (Nov 2, 1939). The Ballinger Ledger, p. 1.
Runnels County’s New NYA Workshop to Start Operations. (Apr 26, 1940). The San Angelo Weekly Standard, p. 5.
NYA Shop Rushing Jobs for Schools and Local Project. (Aug. 15, 1940). The Ballinger Ledger, p. 7.
Ballinger NYA has Open House. (Apr 16, 1941). The Abilene Reporter News, p. 9.
AAA Office to be Moved to NYA Shop Building. (Aug. 13, 1942). The Ballinger Ledger, p. 1.
Machinery Being Moved from Local NYA Workshops. (Sept. 3, 1942). The Ballinger Ledger, p. 9.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on January 17, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE