The WPA did extensive work in creating both the park’s rock and rose gardens.
According to the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination, the “rock gardens in Woodward Park were laid initially by WPA laborers, although there is some evidence that the work was begun somewhat earlier by CWA workers.” (http://www.okhistory.org)
“Constructed by the WPA using hand labor and teams of horses and a part of Woodward Park and the Tulsa Garden Center, the Municipal Rose Garden was inaugurated in 1934 and is a continuing project of Tulsa Parks and the Tulsa Garden Club. The first roses for the garden were planted in 1935.” (http://www.travelok.com)
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE