A historical marker erected in 2008 reads:
“In 1937, the Southwestern Settlement and Development Company deeded land to Newton County. This property would become known as Woods Park, named for the company’s surveyor, C.A. Woods. County residents used the park for recreation and soon the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a New Deal program administered by the federal government, improved the park through a building project. Between 1939 and 1969, Newton High School used the park intermittently as an athletic field. Since 1980, the park has hosted the Newton County Fair and is now known as the Newton County Fair Grounds.”
Texas Historical Commission Atlas: https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/viewform.asp?atlas_num=5507015640&site_name=Woods%20Park%20%28Newton%20County%20Fairgrounds%29&class=5000
Project originally submitted by Susan Kline on January 28, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE