Woodlawn Lake Park Lighthouse
Woodlawn Lake Park began as a subdivision development outside of San Antonio in 1887. The developers constructed a dam across a creek on the property to create a lake which soon became a resort area. The City of San Antonio acquired the property in 1918 and a citizen’s group constructed restrooms and a playground and planted trees. A bond package in 1928 allowed for the construction of a pool and community center.
In 1935, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built two masonry bridges in the park. One still carries vehicular traffic into the park. The road over the second bridge was realigned and widened, and the bridge was incorporated into the jogging trail. The lake had filled with silt because of development of the surrounding neighborhood and construction of paved streets. The WPA dredged the lake in 1936 from a depth of less than four feet to a depth of six feet. Other WPA projects included a concession stand, landscaping, improvements to the tennis courts, construction of parking lots and sidewalks and a decorative miniature lighthouse in the center of the lake for a combined cost of more than $200,000.
Woodlawn Lake http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/Districts/Woodlawn_Lake.aspx Bridge NRHP Eligibility Reports http://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7pFUifC47Y0WDYzc2psMnB4bVU/ http://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7pFUifC47Y0b0VXakphZDNVQ3M/ Allen, Paula. "Lake’s light is purely decorative." San Antonio Express-News. Hearst Newspapers, 4 April Year. Web. Acessed 10 November 2015. http://www.expressnews.com/life/life_columnists/paula_allen/article/Lake-s-light-is-purely-decorative-6179477.php
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on November 14, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE