Delaware utilized substantial federal resources in developing and improving its road network during the Great Depression. Among the dozens of projects undertaken by the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) during 1934 was road construction from what was then known as Five Points, north of Laurel, northwest to Woodland. Living New Deal believes this to be Woodland [Ferry] Road. (Five Points is the location at which N. Central, Seaford, Woodland, and Georgetown Roads, and N Poplar St. all meet, north of Laurel.)
An average of 1,410 were put to work each week during 1934 as a result of the CWA’s road, sidewalk, bridge, and other related infrastructure efforts in Delaware.
Annual Report of the Chief Engineer State Highway Department, 1934 (pg. 43-53): https://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/annual_reports/pdf/1934/annual_1934_chief.pdf
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 11, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE