Ski shelter and fireplace in 1936 - Union Creek OR
The Union Creek Historic District on the upper Rogue River in Union Creek, Oregon, is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places because it is a fine representative of a type of rustic resort popular in the early 20th century and has been little altered since the 1930s.
There are almost one hundred buildings and other facilities in the Union Creek Historic District, almost all of which conform to the Forest Service plans of the 1920s and 30s. Roughly a third were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from 1933 to 1942. CCC enrollees worked during summer from 1933 to 1942 out of the seasonal Upper Rogue River CCC camp (a Forest Service camp).
One of the CCC projects was to construct a winter sports area in 1935. It included a short downhill ski slope, rope tow and warming shelter — a half-open wooden shelter with a large, triangular, open-hearth, stone fireplace.
The rope tow has disappeared and the area is used for general snow play now, but the old stone fireplace remains.
Elizabeth Gail Throop, Union Creek Historic District Nomination Form, submitted by US Forest Service Regional Office, Portland OR, 1980. Union Creek Historic District Nomination Form
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on June 16, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE