Winchester National Cemetery
“The Winchester cemetery benefited from federal programs initiated during the Great Depression. In 1930, the original tool house/comfort station was removed and a new, brick and stucco tool house/storage/comfort station building was erected by Civil Works Administration labor.* During 1934 and 1936, headstones were reset and realigned, sunken graves were filled in, existing trees trimmed, new trees and roses planted, and the wall was repointed and repaired. In 1936, a brick and stucco gasoline storage building was constructed and a one-story addition and basement was added to the superintendent’s lodge by Work[s] Project Administration laborers. On Aug. 28, 1939, the original flagstaff was replaced with a new tubular steel one.”
* Note: the CWA was instituted in 1933-4. Further validation of this timeline is needed.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 12, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE