The school at Williamsburg was destroyed by fire and a new building was erected. Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects approved in the amount of $13,604 in July 1935 included construction of a gymnasium and improvements to the teacher’s house. Fifty-eight men were employed on the project, which included grading and graveling the road to the school. The school building is still extant and has been in use as a furniture company since 1959 after the school closed. The status of the teacher’s house and gymnasium are unknown.
School Finishes Repair Program. (Apr 15, 1935). Clarion-Ledger, p. 3.
Mississippi WPA Projects are Approved. (July 16, 1935). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 17.
Mooney Furniture Company Located at Old Williamsburg School House. (Sept 15, 1966). Magee Courier, p. 2.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on July 13, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE