Williams ranger station residence #1 - Kaibab National Forest AZ
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the original ranger station at Williams AZ. A new main ranger station building and other structures have been added, but two CCC residences and barn/garage are still there (we are uncertain about the status of the shed and small garage).
“Williams Ranger Station contains five historic buildings: two residences, horse barn/garage and corral, shed, and small garage that were constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees in the Bungalow/Craftsman style in 1934. The well-preserved buildings and their setting offer an excellent example of depression-era architecture and Forest Service design. Bungalows in the Craftsman style were usually single-story structures with a low-pitched, gabled roof and a wide front porch with square columns supporting the porch roof. The site, with two residences and functional structures, illustrates the expanded land management role of the Forest Service when the Kaibab National Forest was increased in area by more than one million acres.” (NNDPA 2012)
Arizona Chapter of the National New Deal Preservation Association (NNDPA), "The New Deal in Arizona: Connections to Our Historic Landscape." University of Arizona library online collection, 2012.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE