William Jones Building (NCCU)
William Jones Building, formerly Albert Lewis Turner Hall, at North Carolina Central University in Durham, North Carolina, was constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression. The building has since been expanded.
A National Register of Historic Places nomination form states:
“Completed in December, 1937, this tall T-shaped and hip-roofed one-story building with a mezzanine and a raised basement is part of the campus building campaign sponsored by the Public Works Administration. Brick elevations in English bond are punctuated by tall windows with splayed brick lintels and limestone keystones. Limestone also is used for the water table and brick quoins appear at all corners. … Constructed as a library, the building later served as the law school and today contains offices. An austere modern two-story wing with a flat roof and brick elevations was added to the southeast corner in 1975. The building was named for a former Dean of the Undergraduate School. “
National Register of Historic Places nomination form:
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 12, 2014.
Additional contributions by Fern Nesson.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE