Patterson Court HousingPatterson Court Housing
The Paterson Courts is a 158 unit housing complex that was one of 50 slum clearance and low income housing projects the PWA was tasked with in the 1935-36 period. Its one and two story group houses, covers 7 acres, and cost $472,000. Its named after William Burns Paterson, a Scottish immigrant that spent 45 years from 1870 in efforts at negro education.
The sponsor of the project was the Montgomery Advisory Committee on Housing. It was launched to replace an “objectionable slum area” and was designed with 14 two room, 89 three room, 40 four room, and 15 5 room units.
Urban Housing: The Story of the P.W.A. Housing Division, 1933-1936.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on March 1, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE