White-Narrows Dam No. 1 and 2, NVMap of White Narrows Dam Sites (Nos. 1 and 2) on Muddy River, Moapa Valley, NV
The main purpose of these dams (and others) on the Muddy River is flood control and protection of downstream decreed agricultural land owned by the Moapa Indian Reservation and/or private water users in Moapa Valley. The White Narrows Dam No. 1 also impounds water during wetter years and/or off-season useage. Dam No. 2 is located within the Reservation while Dam No. 1 and its reservoir are at the edge but mostly outside of the Reservation boundary. Dam No. 2 was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps – Indian Division (CCC-ID) in 1935 under supervision of the Office Indian Affairs and the Soil Conservation Service.* The earth and rock filled structures (or levees) are riprapped for erosion control. Dam No. 2 was later enlarged and Dam No. 1 was recently restored by the Moapa Tribe following a washout in 2014.
*Other associated flood control projects on the Muddy River include the Arrowhead Dam, Meadow Valley Wash Flood Control, Wells Siding Diversion Dam, and Hogans Wash Dam.(built with CCC labor within supervision from the U.S. Forest Service and/or Soil Conservation Service).
Shamberger, Hugh A., January 1940, Report on the Muddy River, Clark County, Nevada.
Department of Interior, Appropriation Bill, 1943. White Narrows Project, Nevada.
Department of Interior, Office of Indian Affairs, Irrigation Division, Map # MO-103, July 1941.
April 5, 2018, Press Release (Cortez-Masto) "United States Senator Meets with Tribal Council of Moapa Band of Paiutes.
Project originally submitted by Renee Kolvet on June 20, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE