West Peru Grammar SchoolWest Peru Grammar School after construction
West Peru Grammar School was built in December 1936 with the help of a $11,000 PWA loan. The school contained all eight grades plus the kindergarten, for which there were three teachers and a teacher/principal. Once the West Peru Grammar School was open other area schools began to close and send their students to West Peru. From 1938 to 1942 all seven of the other town schools closed.
Over the next few decades the school was enlarged several times to meet the needs of the growing student population. In 2004, Peru merged with Dixfield, Canton and Carthage, in School Area District (SAD) # 21.
That same year it was agreed that a new school would be built in Peru to house the kindergarten and first through fifth grade classes for all of the towns in the district. Between 2006 and 2008 the West Peru Grammar school transitioned to an elementary school while the new Dirigo Elementary School was being built.
At the end of the 2008 school year, the West Peru Elementary School was closed and became owned by the town of Peru. In 2010 the building was turned over to the “Friends of the Old Peru School” to become a community center with a wide variety of activities.
Peru Historical Society
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on August 30, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE