In 1936, 550 Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers helped lay 25,000 feet of water pipe around 34th and Adeline Streets in West Oakland, under the auspices of the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD).
In 1937-38, 400 WPA workers helped the EBMUD lay 15,000 feet of 36″ and 30″ water main “between 22d and Adeline Streets and Fourth Avenue and East 11th Street”, according to a report in the Oakland Tribune. Since those are both intersections, the implication is that the lines ran from West Oakland across downtown to inner East Oakland; but that needs to be verified.
In any case, the newspaper reported in late 1937 that over half the work had been completed.
John S. Longwell, "The District Keeps Pace." Splashes October 1936, p. 3.
"East Bay water harvest begun," Oakland Tribune, December 10, 1937, p. 35.
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on July 15, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE