A water system was approved for Blue Mountain 07/21/1936 as PWA project W1005. A loan of $20,000 and grant of $16,363 was approved and bids advertised in September 1936. Contract was awarded 11/03/1936 to the Pittsburgh-Des Moines Steel Company and A. H. Beard of St. Louis was the engineer in charge. Using natural springs east of Blue Mountain to supply the water, it marked the first time in the community that standard fireplugs were installed. Construction began November 20th and was completed March 20, 1937 for a total of $36,743.
Status of completed non-federal allotted projects, Report No. 5, Region No. 3. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 104.
City installs water system. (November 11, 1936). Clarion-Ledger, p. 4.
Work is started on water works. (December 6, 1936). Clarion-Ledger, p. 16.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on June 14, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE