Satellite view of old Mountain View water reservoir - Martinez CA
In 1938, the Public Works Administration (PWA) gave a grant to the city of Martinez to help construct a 500,000 gallon water supply reservoir. This is the old Mountain View reservoir (which is no longer in service) at the end of Harbor View Street, according to former City Engineer Tim Tucker. (A second storage tank, still in service, can be found farther south at the end of Shady Glen Street)
The City Council minutes for August 4, 1938 indicate that this was PWA Project #1749F. On August 17, the council transferred $7,000 to the PWA project account and another $2,097 was transferred from the city Water Fund on October 1 (Henderson). We do not know the amount of the PWA grant.
City Council minutes, 1938-41, p. 251, stored at the National Archives, San Bruno CA.
Kristin Henderson, personal communication, January 2022.
Email to Kristin Henderson from Tim Tucker, City Engineer, March 17, 2008.
Project originally submitted by Kristin Henderson on January 30, 2022.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE