As part of a major Works Progress Administration grant to the city of Biloxi in 1935-1936, a 500,000 gallon reservoir for storing water for drinking and fire fighting was completed at a cost of $20,127.31 for the City Water Works Department, along with repairs to the existing reservoirs. The sponsor contributed $5,025.71. The project entailed excavation, grading, backfilling, terracing and sodding, the making of concrete forms, pouring concrete and setting steel reinforcement, and installing water mains. Workers included 32 laborers, 14 skilled workers, 7 intermediate, plus a timekeeper and superintendent for the job. The new reservoir was located at the Central Pumping Station at Main Street near the railroad. At completion, the reservoir had capacity of 750,000 gallons, more than originally planned. The pumping house at this location was destroyed in 1997.
Lumpkin Plans for WPA Start. (Aug 19, 1935). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Biloxi Projects Gets Approval. (Sep 20, 1935). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1.
Hundreds Benefitted by WPA Projects at Biloxi. (Mar 13, 1936). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Outline Biloxi WPA Program. (Dec 31, 1936). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1, 7.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, Biloxi. Retrieved Sept. 6, 2020 from:
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 6, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE