Garage/shop group at the foot of First Street, Water and Sewer Authority site - Washington DC
Works Progress Administration (WPA) records in the National Archives report that in 1937 WPA labor was used to “erect a brick building in the city to be used as a combination carpentry and blacksmith shop by the Sewer Department.”
The location was not given, but is very likely to have been at the old Sewer Department site on the Anacostia River in the southeast quadrant of the district. Next to the still-extant Water and Sewer Authority garage is a group of brick buildings of the same era at the junction of First Street and Potomac Avenue. Any one of these, including the smaller buildings tucked in between the two larger one, could be the carpentry and blacksmith shop. Further verification of this is needed.
These buildings at the Sewer Department site would have been part of a huge New Deal investment in new sewers and sewage treatment across the city.
National Archives, Record Group 69, “Microfilmed Index to WPA Projects.”
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on June 25, 2013.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE