Under the authority of the Housing Act of 1937 (Wagner-Steagall Act), Washington Square (80 units) was one of three federal housing developments in Huntington opened in 1940. Washington Square was developed at the “Colored” section and recorded as such on the 1950 Sanborn Insurance Map. The project demolished substandard housing in a black community, with some businesses listed in the 1937-1939 Negro Green Book although others, such as the theater across the 8th Avenue survived the Depression and the project.
The eight two-story, row house apartment buildings have flat roofs, brick exteriors, and minimal ornamentation characteristic of the emerging International Style of the period.
Project originally submitted by Ernest Everett Blevins on August 10, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE