Washington School - Shawnee, OK
A plaque on the corner of the vacant Washington school in Shawnee, Oklahoma says that the building was a project of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, which was the New Deal program that became known as the Public Works Administration (PWA). The Oklahoma Historic Preservation Survey, however, lists the school as a WPA property.
The construction project was completed in 1937. During the 1980s, the school housed all Shawnee fifth graders. In the late 1990s, the building was shut down and boarded up.
The description for Washington School on Waymarking.com reads as follows:
“This is a two-story brick building with a one-story wing on the west end and a two-story wing on the east, with its basement fully above ground on the east end. The school has the feel of Art Deco with its horizontal lines, and two large bay window extensions at the rear. It stands on the grounds of Farrell Park.
The main entrance facing north has three doors under a concrete canopy. There is a two-door entrance into the auditorium. Decoration is established by the use of lines of darker colored brick and the placement of circular masonry plaques on the front showing George Washington, and an eternal flame.”
Waymarking.com: Washington School, Shawnee, OK AbandonedOK: Washington School of Shawnee Oklahoma Historic Preservation Survey Landmarks Inventory Nomination
Project originally submitted by Hamquilter on August 8, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE