Rose Garden Amphitheatre
Adjacent to Portland’s International Rose Test Garden in Washington Park, the amphitheater served originally as a venue for “all ceremonies incident to the christening of roses or functions held in honor of roses in Portland”(1921). Designed to accommodate 5000 people viewing a 300-square foot stage, the Washington Park Amphitheater has become a popular public venue for concerts, theater performances and other events since it conception as the “Portland Rose Theater” or “Rose Bowl Theater” (1921; 1924; 1937).
In 1941, Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers helped document the Washington Park Amphitheater architectural plans and complete access to the natural amphitheater by constructing rubble rock walls and stairs, and a pergola.
Oregon Historic Sites Database – http://heritagedata.prd.state.or.us/historic/index.cfm?do=v.dsp_siteSummary&resultDisplay=50341 Oregonian (1921) “Rose Garden Plans here are Maturing,” April 10, 1921. Oregonian (1924) “New Rose Garden to Open Tonight,” June 11, 1924. Oregonian (1941) “Improvements Approved,” February 6, 1941.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on January 5, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE