Wasena Bridge detail
Roanoke, Virginia’s Wasena Bridge was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project between 1938 and 1939 by Contractor M. S. Hudgins, Wisconsin Bridges & Iron Company and Consulting Engineers, Barrington & Cortelyou . The bridge carries the traffic of Main St. SW (Route 221) above train tracks, the Roanoke River, and Wasena Park, between Old Southwest / downtown Roanoke and the neighborhood of Wasena.
The PWA provided a $149,265 grant for the bridge’s construction; the final cost of the project was $336,254. Construction occurred between August 1938 and August 1939.
PWA and dedication plaques are located at the north end of the bridge.
(PWA Docket No. VA [W]1152)
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 120. Google Street View imagery Ralph Berrier, Jr., “The historic bridges of Roanoke,” The Roanoke Times, Nov. 16, 2014
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish and Susan Allen on November 3, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE