The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works granted Warren school district $27,000 to build a new school and other facilities. The district built the Warren School in 1935. The firm of Steinman, Steinman & Golemon, better known for their Art Deco or Modern designs, chose a variation of the Italian Renaissance Revival style for the school. The school district used the building for classrooms until 1988, when it was converted to storage space.
A plaque placed within the entry on the right lists building construction information, including the architects, contractor, and “Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Project No. 2056.” Although the school was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 12, 2008, the structure is in a state of decay. Windows are broken out and some walls and part of the roof have collapsed.
Construction occurred between December 1934 and September 1935.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on January 8, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE