Building #26, satellite viewCCC-built warehouse in Carlsbad Caverns National Park Historic District, satellite view
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed a warehouse in what is now known as the Carlsbad Caverns National Park Historic District.
National Register of Historic Places nomination form, 1988:
Warehouse, NPS Bldg #26. Designed in 1941 by architect Ken Saunders of the Branch of Plans and Design, Regional Office, Santa Fe; erected in 1942 by CCC workers; now used as a Maintenance Office and Warehouse.
Simplified Hew Mexican Territorial Revival Style; one-story; rectangular plan measuring about 58′ x 31′; beige-colored stuccoed adobe; arched wooden truss roof with iron tie rods is hidden behind an adobe parapet, and was recently sprayed with urethane foam; concrete floors and foundations; plastered interior walls.
The large windows are steel with fixed multi-lite panes inset with projecting, or pivoting, windows. The rear wall contains 4 small projecting windows of 6 lites each. The entrance door with side lites has recently been remodeled with plate glass inset to replace the original multi-lites. Metal canales project from the
sides of the building. The building is in good condition.
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form:
https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/88001173_text (accessed Apr. 9, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 9, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE