War Veterans Memorial building - Park City UT
Park City’s War Veterans Memorial Building (and Public Auditorium) was a federal New Deal project funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA supplied a $57,225 grant toward the project, which was matched by local funds.
There is conflicting information in PWA records and on the plaques on the building whether it was built in 1938-39 or 1939-40; the former seems more likely, but, in any case, it opened in 1940.
The War Memorial Building originally contained an auditorium, bowling alley, game rooms, meeting rooms and kitchen and dining room. It is a handsome example of “Pueblo Revival” popular in the 1920s and 30s in the western US – not generic “Art Deco” as claimed on the city history plaque. The architects were Ashton & Evans of Salt Lake City.
The building has previously served as the headquarters of the city recreation department, studios of the city radio station KPCW and city council meeting room. It now houses a non-profit organization, Park City Live (a concert venue), and private businesses, including restaurants. The facade was being redone in 2017, when we visited.
The name plaque does not mention the PWA, but the City History panel mentions the New Deal role in funding the building.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
|57225||113970||PWA Docket No. UT W1175|
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 210.
Formal opening of Summit County memorial building. (1940, Jan 25). Park Record. https://newspapers.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s63r1wbn/8030095.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 21, 2016.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker, Corrinne Fiedler.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE