Wadsworth Auditorium (restored)
Newnan, Georgia’s historic Wadsworth Auditorium was originally constructed as the community’s Municipal Building in 1939. The building was “originally constructed in part with funds provided by the Federal Public Works Administration. The three story tan colored brick building designed in classical style with Art Deco influences was designed by R. Kennon Perry.”
The PWA supplied a $55,841 grant for the project, whose total cost was $93,030. Construction occurred between December 1938 and December 1939.
According to the City of Newnan website, “The auditorium was christened ‘The Charles Wadsworth Auditorium’ in 1998 in recognition of Wadsworth’s contributions and nation-wide preeminence as a gifted and talented piano artist. In the years since, thanks to the continued support of Charles Wadsworth, concert patrons, the community-at- large, and the city of Newnan, the Auditorium Restoration Project has resulted in a totally restored, refurbished, beautiful auditorium interior and seating… as well as an updated stage rigging system, new stage lighting, new curtains, modernized dressing rooms, and more. The restoration project was completed in 2008.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 15, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE