The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) had a major impact on the development of Voorhees State Park between 1933 and 1941. According to the the New Jersey DEP’s Division of Parks and Forestry website:
“Voorhees State Park served as a camp for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) , [which] planted trees and constructed shelters, picnic sites and trails throughout the park.”
“When the CCC boys arrived at Voorhees in 1933, they found three relatively undeveloped parcels of land. The park still reflected Governor Voorhees’ use of the property as a farm including pastures, woodland, barns and an apple orchard. By the time the CCC boys were finished working eight years later, under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS) and the United States Army, they had built the present-day road systems, shelters, latrines, visitor amenities, and trail systems or major public access areas that still remain or are used in different ways today.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 1, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE