Ecru Vocational Building
“The Ecru High School FFA/FHA Building was built in 1938 by the National Youth Administration (NYA), a New Deal agency. The NYA was created by executive order in 1935 to provide vocational training to young people while also furnishing a stipend allowing participants to remain in school. One NYA project involved building and renovating school buildings. There were a number of NYA built school buildings in Mississippi, primarily used for vocational education. However, that number is declining. The Ecru building, clad in ‘native stone,’ retains its exterior features, including pent awnings over the doors and 9/9 double hung sash windows. The interior has been modified and is currently in use as a Head Start center. It serves as the physical evidence of an important Depression-era relief program” (Mississippi Department of Archives and History).
Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resource Inventory Fact Sheet. Retrieved from http://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?id=37802&view=facts&y=959.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 3, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE