Municipal Airport - Visalia CA
The Visalia Municipal airport was founded in 1927. In 1941, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) spent $375,000 improving the airport. The work included the construction of a new terminal building and a new, longer runway of nearly 5000 feet.
WPA work ceased when the War Department took control of the airport in 1942 with the onset of the Second World War.
It is unknown if the current terminal building (pictured) is the one built by the WPA or if any other buildings remain from that time.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Visalia and WPA officials join in airport dedication," Visalia Times Delta, April 1, 1941.
"Where airport project is underway," Visalia Times Delta, April 2, 1941.
(from scrapbooks of clippings related to WPA projects in Fresno, Kern, King, Madera, and Tulare Counties. Gift of Mrs. David T. Holmes, Vacaville, 1962 to California State Library in Sacramento).
"Visalia Airport to Quietly Mark 80th Anniversary". Valley Voice Newspaper. April 4, 2007.
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on July 3, 2008.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE